Penske Logistics is utilizing machine learning technology to further automate the process for customer goods that are being handled at a distribution center. Penske is the first Blue Yonder customer to employ their innovative Yard Management solution.
Ramu Pannala, vice president supply chain technology, Penske Logistics: “Thanks to Blue Yonder’s computer vision-based Yard Management solution we have gained greater visibility in our yard, allowing us to know trailer and container location details and status, which has resulted in improved efficiencies. Automating the gate-in, gate-out process has allowed us to make better business decisions that positively benefit our customers.”
Penske has successfully implemented the Yard Management solution at one address and will expand the artificial intelligence technology into further locations this year. A few highlights:
- Uses camera/computer vision technology and machine learning tied into the solution to automatically check-in and identify trailers to know what shipments are in the yard and where the trailer or container is parked.
- Automatically check out, enabled by the solution, to provide time-stamp details for when tractors and trailers exit the yard.
- Connect directly into the Blue Yonder Warehouse Management System (WMS) so that all shipments are automatically logged in and tracked.
- Automate and centralize tasks to return labor to other more productive activities at the yard.
- Improve throughput by increasing the speed of processing trucks in the yard, thereby lowering costs and improving service.
The solution also provides critical information including where to drop or hook trailers, assigned docks, equipment status, and load priority and location. In addition, proactive alerts allow staff to quickly respond to constraints or unexpected actions in real-time, and track statuses while monitoring for delays in the yard to avoid detention fees and various expenses due to waiting or lost loads.
By “Move Ahead” Staff